18th July 1945

This morning, I goes down to the butcher's with me coupons and meets this lovely sailor.

"Hello, sailor boy," I says.

"Hello, sweetheart," he replies. "What you gettin' on them coupons?"

Well, before long, we're getting proper pally. Neither of us is able to get more than a rind of bacon and a lump of lard, but you know what? I don't even care! The sailor boy's name is Jim and he done all kinds in the war. I don't know whether they'll send him off to fight those Japs, but I'm goin' to make the most of it while he's here. Him and his mates are coming up the Glory on Wednesday night for the dance, so I'm going to find me best nylons and doll meself up a treat.
He give me his copy of Blighty and wrote his name big across the top and the address of his lodging house.

Still ain't heard nothing about the election. I couldn't vote for that Mr Attlee. He's a funny little bloke. I voted for Winnie, 'cause he won the war for us pretty much single handed and that's a fact.

No comments: